OMG – the woman's gone punch mad!

Two posts in one day?  And both featuring punches?!!  Are you sure you’re on the right blog?


You may have spotted the butterfly punch in the previous post.  So I thought I better give it the same treatment and make something with it straight away.  I realised when I made the last card that I have a very serious problem at the moment – all my Glimmer Mists except one single set (Winter Wonder) are at the office.  When I opened my Glimmer Mist cupboard (yes, they fill a whole cupboard) and I saw it was empty, I had to sit down and wait for the palpitations to pass.

Luckily, I have no shortage of already glimmer misted paper and card lying around, so I was at least able to satisfy my shimmer cravings by punching butterflies from some of my stash.  I so wanted to make a coordinating shimmery background, but the colours I had were wrong.

So I set to work with distress inkpads – smooshing several colours (mustard seed, spiced marmalade and aged mahogany) onto my craft mat and misting with water before dabbing my card in the puddles.  I’d already stamped the tree with a browny-greeny ink and embossed it with clear embossing powder before this step.

Once the background was all covered, I dabbed off the very wet bits with kitchen towel and oversprayed it with Silver Bells Glimmer Mist which gave it a nice pearly sheen and started to ease the withdrawal shakes somewhat.

I had the idea for the butterfly tree the minute I saw the punch in the shop. I punched out several butterflies from three sheets of glimmer misted card – don’t ask me which colours, the card was sprayed before Christmas so it could be anything!  I decided they needed a little something, so I stamped them with one of the flower stamps from the Arboretum stamp set, then used the same foam mat and ball tool technique as before to curl the wings, then flipped them over and ran the ball tool down the middle to make the wings pop up.

I stuck down the butterflies leaving the wings free – it will flatten down for postage, but the recipient can lift up the wings to give it more dimension.  As I was sorting out the layers, I decided to mount it onto a white card and stamp the background.  Well I must be out of practice because I completely messed it up, so looked around for some paper to cover it up with and I came across a print out from the Butterfly Bliss CD with the perfect mix of colours, so I covered the whole card with it.  I finished it off with the daisy punch mounted onto some fabric flowers which have been shimmered up a little.


And while all of this was going on, I’ve also been working on some other stuff which I can’t share here yet as I’m submitting it to a magazine and they won’t publish it if it’s been seen before.  Being away from my craft room for a week has really got me itching to CREATE stuff – I’m like an addict who’s bust out of rehab and can’t get enough!  I think I might just take a trip down to the office to collect my babies, er I mean Glimmer Mists.


Martha Stewart Punches

I’m sure you all know that feeling of coming home from a craft shop with an impulse buy and a slight feeling of “oh my gosh, will I ever actually use that”.  Well with the exception of the odd corner rounder,  I don’t really ‘do’ punches very much, so why is it I seem to have brought a whole load home in my suitcase?


Is it the cute packaging?  The fact they are designed square so they all line up neatly together?  Is it in fact Lynn’s fault for giving me a Martha Stewart Punch shopping list, thus making me look at them in the first place?

Well, whatever the reason, I fell for them and offered them a loving home.  (These should soon be available in the UK, by the way).  So as I was unpacking the important stuff yesterday, I decided that these fell into the category of purchases that would sit at the back of the shelf and never get used if I didn’t do something with them straight away.

So I picked the hydrangea petal punch and set to work.  I found a sheet of pastel rainbow cardstock and began punching from the pink/ lilac/blue area of the card.


I then dug out a piece of funky foam and using two layers together, rubbed a large ball tool in the middle of each of the flowers to curl them up slightly.


I cut a scalloped circle (Nestabilities – coming soon to Graphicus by popular demand, and about time too!) and started sticking down the larger flowers.  I had inked the edges of the larger flowers, but decided that was far too fiddly, so abandoned that plan.  In fact, at this stage, I was wondering if I had been attacked by some strange form of jetlag I’d not encountered before, as all this fiddly, tiny stuff is just not me at all.

Anyway, I carried on and built up the flower head and was surprised at how quickly it all went together.  Adrian shouted through that dinner was ready, so I quickly spritzed on some Glimmer Mist and left it to dry while I savoured the gourmet delights of haricots poached  in a delicately flavoured tomato sauce on a bed of lightly toasted seeded crostini (or beans on posh toast if you prefer).

The Glimmer Mist had settled nicely into the flower centres and I accented it some more with some Hero Arts flat back pearls, then mounted it onto a lilac scallop circle, edged with purple ink.

I stamped a stalk and two leaves from our Ruby Tuesday stamp set and the stamped the words from the Words of Gratitude set, inked the edges and mounted that onto the same lilac card.

The whole thing was then mounted onto a lilac card with a nice patterned K&Co paper.


The flash has bounced off the glimmer mist a little, so here’s a close up showing the texture.


Well, I don’t have a plan for this card, so I’ve decided to give it away to someone right here on the blog.  Leave me a comment and I’ll pick a name randomly on Sunday.  Let me know if you’d like it addressed to you and signed, or left blank so you can send it to someone yourself.  It’s almost 6 inches square.