This is the card I made for Lesley’s birthday this week. She is definitely having one of those ‘uphill’ kind of years with the main battle being the ongoing saga of her broken arm (which she broke just before Christmas last year). She’s one of the rare cases where the bone is not healing (non-union). She’s currently using an Exogen machine which has a high success rate for stimulating bone growth in non-union cases, but she hasn’t responded to that either. So, as the consultant said, she’s one of the ‘special’ ones.
She’s trussed up in a neoprene brace and sling which is extremely hot in this weather and of course it’s her dominant right arm, so she has had to learn how to do everything left-handed if she wants to do anything for herself. I have to say it’s remarkable (and inspiring) to see what she can achieve with her ‘wrong’ hand and thanks to technology, she has been able to pretty much carry on her normal role at Chocolate Baroque, working remotely from home.
When you can’t drive though, you can get sick of the same four walls, so on her birthday, we took her out for a delicious lunch at Betty’s tearoom in Northallerton. I mean it was a bit of a hardship for Adrian and I, but you know, you gotta rise to the challenge for a friend …
Anyway, I wanted to put together a cheerful card and decided to try out the new seasonal Distress Markers which have just come in. The main flower is from Fancy Flowers and I coloured it by scribbling the marker on an acrylic block and picking it up with a waterbrush. I used Festive Berries, Mowed Lawn, Iced Spruce, Squeezed Lemonade and from the original range, Mustard Seed and Crushed Olive.
After painting the colour on, I used the pens directly to add stronger shadows and toning colours to the berries to give that rounded look.
Here’s a close up:
The background was done way back when I was prepping for the very first Monday Mojo email all about repeat stamping and uses stamps from the Indian Elephant and Indian Textiles stamp sets. I shaped one edge and layered it onto some patterned paper. I spent ages looking for the right colour for the layers and in the end found a scrap of blue that made a great contrast. I only had the one piece so if Lesley ever deconstructs her card, she’ll find there’s a big hole in the middle of the blue background where I cut out a piece to make the layer for the flower!
The flower was stamped onto white card, but it looked too bright against the softer tones of the background, so I picked up some ink from my Scattered Straw Distress inkpad and swirled it around the edges and into the middle. I also added a touch of Iced Spruce around the edges as well which merges to form a green tone. The finished card is 7 inches square.
I’ll be back soon with some more Christmas cards – I’ve been having fun with those Big Bold Background stamps.