Misty Peacock Tag

Misty Peacock Tag When I first got hold of the new peacock stamps, I stamped this one from Peacock Parade on on a tag and it sat there for a while as I pondered what I was going to do with it.  I coloured it in with Derwent Inktense pencils and for the tail, I made a palette by scribbling the pencil on a piece of card, then picking up the colour with a waterbrush.  Doing that gives you more control over the intensity of the colour and I wanted to vary the tones in the tail.

I applied three colours of Stickles to each ‘eye’ in the tail then after that was dry, I set to work with the  Summer Flower mask and any inkpads I had in shades of aqua (Archival Aquamarine, Viridian, Memento Teal Zeal, Bahama Blue).  I used a large stencil brush to swirl and stipple colour over the mask, then used the same range of inkpads plus a little green (Memento Pear Tart) to add some stamping to the background.  I used a mixture of stamps from both peacock sets and the harlequin stamp from Decorative Edges.  I swirled the brush around the peacock without reinking, just to add a bit more colour and finally I finished off with the large art nouveau feather using Versafine Majestic Blue.

It shows that you don’t always need to do the background first, which is particularly useful if you want to colour an image in detail and see the true colours.

Here’s a close up of the top half.

peacock-close

Well done Waist

Here’s a journal page created with PanPastels, Crafter’s Workshop Templates, polychromos pencils and acrylic paints.  The little poem is a reference to the fact that my hips are lagging a dress size behind my waist at the moment which makes trouser buying an interesting exercise.  (You can click on the image for a larger view.)  I used the pointy circles template in the background (I actually stencilled a little gel medium through it then rubbed pastel over when it was dry) and when I was doodling on the page, I used the spacing of the design to create the hourglass figure.  I wasn’t intending to draw a person, so her head is a little squashed onto the body to fit on the page.

It’s very clear to me that my journal pages are getting brighter and more lighthearted.  I wouldn’t say journaling has saved my life, but it certainly helped me cope with “stuff” and the pages dealing with it are literally as well as figuratively dark and messy.  OK, so they’re still messy, but so is life.  At least I’m viewing it through multi-coloured glasses these days (rose-tinted is so last year dah-ling!).

Tomorrow I have a Steampunkery sample and a review of the Ranger Inkssentials Speciality Stamping Paper, plus news of a giveaway …

Zingy yellow and pink

This stamp is from the Fragrant Honeysuckle stamp set and it’s a lovely image to colour in.  I used Derwent watercolour pencils and just went for bright bold colours.  I didn’t quite intend the background to be such a vibrant gold, but I like the way it turned out.  I picked out the bright pink and gold in the layering and with so much colour, kept the rest of the card very simple.

It’s teasy time now – I just got the next few months worth of new stamp plates in and we’re starting to make the boards and test the rubber … There’s one coming out in February that goes really well with Artistic Affirmations and I’m LOVING it already.

Thanks for all the comments about lighting.  I am going to look into getting a decent light for the table, maybe an OTT light.  We swapped over our uplighters, so I now have the two from downstairs with the extra spotlights.  I’m actually pointing the spotlights straight up as I can’t really get them positioned to light up the workspace without them either getting in the way, or blinding me when I look up.  But the extra two bulbs bouncing light off the ceiling does help a lot.  I’ve also managed to keep one of the original uplighters as it is plugged in behind a unit that I really don’t want to move, so I’ve actually gone from two bulbs to five and yes, it’s definitely brighter in there.

So with lots of light and lots of new rubber, I’m one happy stamper!

Sunburst Video

We have just launched our latest stamp set – Home Sweet Home – a set of sweet cottage stamps in a vintage Clarice Cliff kind of style.

I was so inspired by all the sunbursts that the girls came up with that I’ve recorded a video of the card above, showing how to create a sunburst sky with masking.  It’s a ‘reductive’ masking technique, which basically means that you mask off part of the design, then after colouring, you cut the mask to reveal a bit more.  The mask is effectively destroyed in the process of using it (though if you are careful, you can keep the bits you cut off and re-use them) which is why I’ve called it a ‘reductive’ process as that term is used in lino printing.

There’s actually two videos – the first shows the masking technique and the second shows me colouring the bottom half at warp speed (it took about 20 minutes in real life).

If you can’t see the embedded video below, please visit my YouTube channel and you will find them there.  I’m known as glendawww on YouTube (yes, that’s three Ws).

There is an introductory price on this stamp set until the end of August – just £12.50 instead of £14.99 and it is actually the current Offer of the Month for Baroque Guild members at £9.99 – just one of the many benefits of being a Guild member!

So, enjoy the videos and watch out for more samples and a giveaway on the Design Team Blog.

Related Posts with Thumbnails