Well firstly, thank you all for your very encouraging comments about me doing some workshops – I had lots of replies over on Facebook too, so I’m trying to get something planned for the end of October and will let you know what, when and where.
Meanwhile, Chocolate Baroque just launched a set of Seaside themed stamps last week (Seaside Dreams) and of course they are instantly my favourite stamps ever.
I used them to create this week’s Monday Mojo inspired card which features a transparent strip along the front to reveal the inside of the card. Click here to read the tutorial showing how I created this type of card.
The inside is a gelli print which I stamped with Archival Aqua ink. The shells on the front were stamped with Pale Ochre Archival ink, masked off and stamped again. I then drew a pencil line above the shells, simplifying the shape slightly and cut them out to form the base of the card.
The line below the beach huts was drawn using a useful gadget – the curved Tonic rulers which are handy when you want a wave shape bigger than anything a paper trimmer can do.
When Lesley came to visit a couple of weeks ago, we had real fun playing with these stamps. I had the idea of making seaside bunting, but I got carried away with colouring and I think it might take a while to do a whole string of bunting! Lesley made a super postcard which you can see on her blog (thepaperengineer.blogspot.com). My bunting is coloured with polychromos pencils, including the sea behind the huts which uses lighter and lighter shading to fade out to white. Today the view from my window is of a sparkling grey-blue sea, but we sometimes see it where the sea fades out to sky with no visible horizon and the boats look like they are floating in mid air.
We also did some gelli printing and the mermaid card below uses one of my prints as the backing paper. The mermaid is coloured with copic markers.
The scalloped circle card seemed very appropriate for the shells. I stamped in Archival Potting Soil and coloured with pencils before covering with a mask. Once masked, I used a large brush to add colour to the sky and sand. The two starfish are from Underwater Kingdom which are also coloured with pencils. Just when it was all looking good, I noticed a smudge at the top of the card, so I picked out the tiny shell from Mermaid Queen and stamped it all around the edge which disguised the mark and gave the whole thing a nice frame too.
I hope you are enjoying the same glorious sunshine that we have here at the moment. We are making the most of it while it lasts – we were out last night on the putting green then we took a trip out to sea to watch the sunset. The sky was fantastic!
PS – you can click on any photos to see a larger image – just use the back button on your browser to return to the post.