I am longing for Spring. I’m literally counting how many minutes earlier sunset is each day and savouring the extra little bit of light. We haven’t had the really wintry weather we had last year, but what is it this year with gales? I don’t remember it being very windy last year, but we seem to be living in a permanent storm force ten at the moment. The garden shed has blown off its base and is perched at a very drunken angle in the corner of the garden. It was in a pretty derelict state when we moved here, so earlier this week I got permission from the landlord to let Adrian loose on it with a crowbar and lump hammer. I am hoping there may be some planks I can salvage for artwork.
So with thoughts of mild, warm, sunny Spring days ahead, I made this little card with the Breath of Spring stamp set. It’s stamped in black Versafine on watercolour paper and coloured with Inktense pencils. I’ve layered it onto some card coloured with Distress stains (Crushed Olive and Pine Needles I think). It’s mounted onto a lilac pearl card and stuck onto a deep purple scalloped card.
The layered panel stands a little taller than the card itself so it’s almost like a mock stepper card. I put decorative paper on the back so that if you look at the card from the back, the sticky up bit isn’t just plain. Well that’s what I’d like you to think, but I actually made the classic mistake of putting my double sided tape all over the back and just as I was about to stick it on, realised there would be exposed adhesive on that back piece so if I ever stuck it in an envelope, it might never come out!
According to the weather forecast, it looks like there’s a lot more Winter to come before I’ll get my warm Spring sunshine. Ah well, I’ll go hibernate a bit longer in my craft room with those new stamps …
We have just launched our latest stamp set – Home Sweet Home – a set of sweet cottage stamps in a vintage Clarice Cliff kind of style.
I was so inspired by all the sunbursts that the girls came up with that I’ve recorded a video of the card above, showing how to create a sunburst sky with masking. It’s a ‘reductive’ masking technique, which basically means that you mask off part of the design, then after colouring, you cut the mask to reveal a bit more. The mask is effectively destroyed in the process of using it (though if you are careful, you can keep the bits you cut off and re-use them) which is why I’ve called it a ‘reductive’ process as that term is used in lino printing.
There’s actually two videos – the first shows the masking technique and the second shows me colouring the bottom half at warp speed (it took about 20 minutes in real life).
If you can’t see the embedded video below, please visit my YouTube channel and you will find them there. I’m known as glendawww on YouTube (yes, that’s three Ws).
There is an introductory price on this stamp set until the end of August – just £12.50 instead of £14.99 and it is actually the current Offer of the Month for Baroque Guild members at £9.99 – just one of the many benefits of being a Guild member!
So, enjoy the videos and watch out for more samples and a giveaway on the Design Team Blog.
I may be quiet, but I am being very creative at the moment and getting my head into Christmas while dealing with sunburn (yes, I’m glowing like Sellafield on a dark night) is a bit weird. But it’s gotta be done, Christmas stamps will be released to trade next month!
Anyhow, this card has been a work in progress for a long time. I created the stamped panel for a workshop last year using one of my all time favourite stamp sets, Breath of Spring which really is a beautiful set. The background is the leafy flourish from the set, stamped with Adirondack dye inks and misted with lots of water. The image is stamped with Versafine and coloured with Inktense pencils (not water blended, just dry). I then covered the butterfly with glossy accents and stamped the sentiment with Versafine. The paper is from the Essence of Nature CD.
It has been sat in my ‘bits box’ for ages and finally got made into a card. The twiddly bit at the bottom is from one of the Nestability pendant die borders and the pearls on it have been coloured to match the paper with Copic markers. Click on the image for a closer view.
I found this coloured butterfly image when I was tidying up and knew that it would go beautifully with one of the Essence of Nature papers. This paper has been bleached out by the camera’s flash a bit, but you can still see the soft greens and golden yellows that tie in so well with the daisy butterfly image. The stamped image has been coloured with Derwent Inktense pencils on watercolour paper and the decoupaged butterfly has a touch of stickles on it.
I got some more pics of Smokey yesterday, so hope to get those up for you soon. I have photographic proof that rabbits eat leylandii hedges!